Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Love Note

 

I met Rachael at an event for the VCU Midwives about six weeks before our due date.  We instantly hit it off, as she is so warm and inviting and a very active listener.  I am also familiar with the organization through which she received her training, and know of their high standards.  Rachael met with us at our home, and discussed our wants and concerns about our birth experience.  She asked great questions, and was very supportive of our needs making it easy for us to choose her to be our doula.

Rachael made regular contact with us to check in our our progress, and met with us again in person where she offered us a wonderful guide for my husband that she had created that outlined ways that he could be helpful throughout the labor process.

When we did (finally!) go into labor, Rachael came to our house and worked with me, using a number of comfort measures to help guide me through the contractions.  Rachael was so very encouraging and strong; I felt safe and capable.  We went to the hospital when i felt ready, only to have my contractions pretty much stop altogether.  We were sent back home to sleep and rest up, and even though I felt very discouraged, Rachael helped me to keep positive.

 My water broke the next afternoon, and Rachael met us at the hospital and was an incredible presence and support throughout my entire labor, which all in all turned out to be 36 hours (including the previous day's adventures).  She employed a variety of techniques to help me through my contractions, and maintained a wonderful attitude.  Rachael was very knowledgable and was quick to recognize what I needed at different stages thoughout my labor.  We successfully delievered our 9 lb. 9 oz. son vaginally early the next morning.  I know both my husband and I feel that Rachael was an indispensible part of our birth experience, and would highly recommend her to any expecting parents.